From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question on install
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 15:38:09
1 mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com wrote:
2 > refering to the amd64 handbook, at gentoo.org "downloading the stage
3 > tarball" where it says "
6 > Downloading the stage tarball
7 >
8 > Go to the Gentoo mount point where the root file system is mounted
9 > (most likely /mnt/gentoo):
10 >
11 > |root #||cd /mnt/gentoo"
12 >
13 > does that mean to change to where gentoo will be installed, or where
14 > the cd/dvd is mounted? i'm using a gentoo live dvd. seriously just
15 > trying to get a basic install to start with. i ask because it doesn't
16 > seem reasonable (to my ignorant brain) to download to the ram drive
17 > created by the install dvd, if so then so, whatever works. life is a
18 > learning process, those who've chosen to stop learning have chosen to
19 > stop living in a meaningful was. i may trip sometimes, but i am
20 > always, always trying to learn, especially when it's "inconvenient".
21 > thanks to all those intending to help.
22 >
23 > i have never cross posted, if this email appears anywhere other than
24 > "gentoo-user@×××××××××××.org <mailto:gentoo-user@×××××××××××.org>
25 > please check the headers, it wasn't me, was never that ignorant nor
26 > arrogant.
27 > |
28 > --
29 > Securely sent with Tutanota. Claim your encrypted mailbox today!
30 > https://tutanota.com
31
32 I think the technical term is thread hijacking. I'm attaching a
33 screenshot of what you did and what is being talked about. What you did
34 was pick a email, hit reply, changed the subject to yours and then sent
35 it to the list. At that point, the topic of the thread changed. Some
36 of us track mailing lists using threaded messages. That way we can
37 track back to a older message easily and see exactly what message is
38 being replied to, even if it is snipped out. It also makes it easier to
39 ignore threads that we are not interested in.
40
41 A good reason not to do this, people may not follow the older thread
42 that was hijacked and those people, who may have the answer, will never
43 see your question. By starting a new thread, people are much more
44 likely to see it. As a example, if I see a systemd thread, I pass it by
45 since I don't use it and would find it highly unlikely that I could help
46 them in any way. People who use systemd tho, they would see the thread
47 and see if they can help. However, if you bury it inside of another
48 thread that is unrelated, they may not see your question.
49
50 Hope that helps.
51
52 Dale
53

Screenshot at 2017-08-21 10-29-50.png image/png