From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is it OK to get rid of app-alternatives/* ?
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 14:42:05
1 On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 9:10 AM Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2023-02-15 08:11:46, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > >
5 > > If, as you say, it will eventually replace eselect, there is no more
6 > > bloat, just different bloat. It's still just a bunch of symlinks, but
7 > > managed differently.
10 > Should be less, since you already have portage installed but not
11 > necessarily eselect-whatever.
14 The symlinks are all associated with packages as well, which means
15 that when you uninstall things that will get rid of the symlinks as
16 well. This is really just a best practice all-around. I have a
17 Gentoo system I've been maintaining for a while and I occasionally
18 find orphaned stuff poking around because of special cases of things
19 that weren't managed by the package manager, and so when things were
20 obsoleted they stuck around.
21
22 The news is needed precisely because the migration involves having the
23 package manager install a bunch of stuff over files not owned by any
24 package. That triggers a warning, but only because the files were in
25 a less than ideal state to start.
26
27 Things like this and the new user/group packages also reduce the
28 complexity of dependency management because they just turn everything
29 into a package dependency. Less special cases.
32 Rich