From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Transcoding movie DVD to MPEG4?
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 15:38:04
1 On 03 December 2006 15:28, Mick wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I want to copy a movie from a DVD which I bought in a shop, to another DVD
5 > to take with me on holiday. I'll be playing back the copy on my laptop and
6 > (if it is feasible) the hotel's DVD player.
7 >
8 > I thought that K3B and a double layer blank DVD+R is all I need to burn an
9 > iso image of the DVD. After two expensive coasters (see other recent
10 > topic) I came to the conclusion that the combination of
11 > K3B/Phillips-DVD8421/Imation-DVD+R DL will just not work. I could start
12 > trying out different brands of DVD+R DL, but I cannot see a sustainable
13 > economic case for persevering with my coaster production. :-(
14
15 So far, I haven't managed to burn any DL DVD.
18 > So, I am now looking at alternative solutions to be able to enjoy my movies
19 > when on hols. I mounted the DVD and can see a number of *.vob files only
20 > some of which are the main film. Saving these would be enough, if only
21 > they could fit in a single layer DVD. Each of these *.vob files are
22 > approx.:
23 >
24 > -r-xr-xr-x 1 michael users 1073684480 Dec 3 11:21 vts_01_1.vob
25 >
26 > There are 6 of them in a video which I want to copy, but given the recent
27 > failed attempts with burning DVD+R DLs I will have to compact them so that
28 > they can fit in a single DVD. I read about transcoding into mpeg4, but I
29 > don't know what are the right options for what I want. What would you
30 > recommend?
33 --- begin script ---
34
35 #! /bin/sh
36
37 BITRATE="730"
38
39 VIDCOM="-ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=$BITRATE:pass"
40 AUDCOM="-oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=0:br=64"
41
42 RMLOG="rm divx*.log"
43
44 if [ $# != 2 ]; then
45 echo "Usage: encode infile outfile"
46 exit 1
47 fi
48
49 $RMLOG
50
51 mencoder $1 $VIDCOM=1 $AUDCOM -o $2
52 mencoder $1 $VIDCOM=2 $AUDCOM -o $2
53
54 $RMLOG
55
56 --- end script ---
57
58 if you launch the script like "encode dvd:// yourfile.avi" it will read from
59 the dvd drive. You might want to set BITRATE to something in the range of
60 2000.
61
62 Beware, this is *extremely* slow but leads to the best quality at the highest
63 compressions rate (depending on BITRATE) I have encountered so far.
64
65 Oh yes, and you need the x264 codec. It is in portage.
66
67 Uwe
70 Mark Twain: I rather decline two drinks than a German adjective.
71 http://www.SysEx.com.na
72 --
73 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list