From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Power supply or motherboard dead?
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 04:13:09
1 On 20 Mar 2008, at 22:29, Grant wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I removed everything from the motherboard and even tried another CPU
4 > that used to run on that same motherboard. No luck. I can't test the
5 > power supply in my P3 router because the CPU power plug is different.
6 >
7 > I should have said before that every couple times I try to turn it on,
8 > the CPU fan spins about 2% of a full rotation and some of the LEDs
9 > along the back light up for a second.
10 >
11 > Would you guys say it is most likely the motherboard at this point?
12
13 _Looks_ that way. I mean, you've certainly tried everything else,
14 haven't you?
15
16 I have to admit that I usually give up before this stage, as I rarely
17 have a CPU which matches the motherboard (or if I do they're old
18 PIIIs which have so little value I can just replace the whole lot).
19
20 I charge my customers £38 an hour for fixing PCs - although obviously
21 this doesn't take into account time travelling to jobs or running the
22 business (making orders, doing the paperwork), I very quickly write
23 off hardware problems as "not worth my while". It looks like I can
24 buy a dual-core Athlon and a cheapo motherboard (ok, I'd buy a nicer
25 one, but let me make the point) for £55 (ok, admittedly +VAT), so I
26 no longer enjoy spending hours messing around with recalcitrant
27 hardware.
28
29 Stroller.
30 --