From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Power supply or motherboard dead?
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:30:01
1 > > A Gentoo desktop of mine won't turn on anymore. I was hoping it was
2 > > the power supply but I've installed a new one which doesn't fix the
3 > > problem. Is there a sure way to know if the motherboard needs
4 > > replacement or if I have two dead power supplies?
5 >
6 > Hi there,
7 >
8 > I work on PCs for a living, mostly peoples' home computers, and in
9 > the case of a "dead pc" the cause is nearly as often something else
10 > as it is a dead PSU.
11 >
12 > Causes such as a duff CD-ROM drive or a damaged USB connector are
13 > surprising but not uncommon, so reset the BIOS (using the method
14 > described by Volker) and if that doesn't work unplug as much as
15 > possible from the motherboard - you'll surely need the CPU & RAM for
16 > it to post, but you may wish to swap out the RAM at some point in
17 > your diagnostics - and unplug most everything else. That means
18 > drives, PCI cards, USB devices, stuff connected to the USB & serial
19 > headers, graphics card if possible. Also don't connect the power
20 > supply to any of the drives, or anything else that you're not
21 > currently using.
22 >
23 > I've seen cheap power supplies take out the motherboard when they go.
24 > Sorry if you find that to be the case.
25
26 I removed everything from the motherboard and even tried another CPU
27 that used to run on that same motherboard. No luck. I can't test the
28 power supply in my P3 router because the CPU power plug is different.
29
30 I should have said before that every couple times I try to turn it on,
31 the CPU fan spins about 2% of a full rotation and some of the LEDs
32 along the back light up for a second.
33
34 Would you guys say it is most likely the motherboard at this point?
35
36 - Grant
37 --
38 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list