From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] caching DNS the Gentoo way?
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:26:00
1 On 12/9/05, michael higgins <linux@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I've found that it'll often takes longer to get DNS resolution than content over my connection, so I thought a caching DNS server the way to go. With that in mind, I installed BIND.
3
4 nscd does this, and is much simpler. It is already installed as part
5 of glibc. Just do rc-update -a nscd default.
6
7 > From what I understand (right or wrong, IDK), I should only have to look up something once, then that info is available locally until I reboot. Or, like that...
8
9 It will cache until named is restarted, or the lookup expires. The
10 lookup expiration time is determined by the authoritative name server
11 for that domain.
12
13 > So, how do I know if this is doing what I want? If anyone knows the right and proper way to do this, I'd appreciate it.
14
15 >From one terminal:
16
17 tcpdump dst port 53
18
19 >From another terminal:
20
21 ping -c 4 google.com
22 ping -c 4 google.com
23
24 If you see domain queries being sent when you do the second ping, then
25 you are not caching.
26
27 BTW, if you really want to use named for this, your /etc/resolv.conf
28 should contain only "nameserver 127.0.0.1". If you are use nscd, then
29 resolv.conf can be left as is.
30
31 -Richard
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list