From: michael higgins <linux@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] caching DNS the Gentoo way?
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 23:25:18
1 Hello, all. Need a clue, here.
2
3 I've found that it'll often takes longer to get DNS resolution than content over my connection, so I thought a caching DNS server the way to go. With that in mind, I installed BIND.
4
5 I couldn't find anything like a quickie Gentoo example of this minimal use of the application, so on starting /etc/init.d/named, there was first an error about a missing /etc/bind/named.conf.
6
7 I Googled around a bit and found something to start with, watched the syslog messages and tweaked it, finally managing to get named to run. The problem is, I'm still not convinced that I've got it set up correctly. From what I understand (right or wrong, IDK), I should only have to look up something once, then that info is available locally until I reboot. Or, like that...
8
9 So, how do I know if this is doing what I want? If anyone knows the right and proper way to do this, I'd appreciate it.
10
11 Here's my /etc/bind/named.conf:
12
13 - - - - - - -