From: Shawn Haggett <podge@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: linux@×××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] caching DNS the Gentoo way?
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:32:05
1 michael higgins wrote:
2
3 >Hello, all. Need a clue, here.
4 >
5 >I've found that it'll often takes longer to get DNS resolution than content over my connection, so I thought a caching DNS server the way to go. With that in mind, I installed BIND.
6 >
7 >I couldn't find anything like a quickie Gentoo example of this minimal use of the application, so on starting /etc/init.d/named, there was first an error about a missing /etc/bind/named.conf.
8 >
9 >I Googled around a bit and found something to start with, watched the syslog messages and tweaked it, finally managing to get named to run. The problem is, I'm still not convinced that I've got it set up correctly. From what I understand (right or wrong, IDK), I should only have to look up something once, then that info is available locally until I reboot. Or, like that...
12 Check your /etc/resolv.conf file. Make sure it lists your local machine
13 as a nameserver. Otherwise your system will ignore it and just use
14 whatever sever is listed in there. Also be careful, if you use DHCP on a
15 network or anything, it might be rewriting the resolv.conf file to have
16 the nameserver entries that are gotten from DHCP.
17
18 What sort of set-up is this? Is this a single machine by itself
19 connected to the internet, or is this part of a network? If it's part of
20 a network, do you want it to also cache all the queries for other
21 clients on the network?
22
23 Shawn
24 --