From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Official Gentoo MythTV Install Guide: never installs mythtv
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 04:35:38
1 On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Grant Edwards<grante@××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2009-06-12, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> I'm about to have a go at replacing my dedicated Knoppmyth
5 >>>> FE/BE box with a backend on my "general purpose" Gentoo
6 >>>> desktop and a dedicated diskless frontend on an Intel Mac
7 >>>> Mini.
8 >>>>
9 >>>> Towards that end I'm looking at the "Official Gentoo MythTV
10 >>>> Install Guide" at
11 >>>>
12 >>>>   http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/mythtv/
13 >>>>
14 >>>> I don't see anywhere in the process that mythtv is actually
15 >>>> installed.
16 >
17 >> That doc was last updated in 2005. It's woefully out of date.
18 >
19 > You're right -- I hadn't noticed the last modified date.
20 > Unfortunately, the Gentoo wiki page on MythTv has a pointer to
21 > that page right at the top.
22 >
23 >      http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/MythTV
24 >
25 >> Use the Gentoo specific info on the www.MythTV.org site and
26 >> you'll do fine.
27 >
28 > At the risk of seeming a bit dim... what Gentoo specific info?
29 >
30 > The page at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Linux_Distros#Gentoo has
31 > 4 links to Gentoo setup guides.  Three of them don't exist, and
32 > the fourth is the previously mentioned "official" install guide
33 > that hasn't been updated in 4 years and doesn't actually show
34 > mythtv being installed.
35
36 That's the wiki, not the documentation.
37
38 http://www.mythtv.org/docs/
39
40 http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.5
41
42 then under
43
44 http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html
45
46 <QUOTE>
47 Gentoo
48
49 After installing MySQL you need to initialize the database by running
50 mysql_install_db as root.
51
52 and later...
53
54 Gentoo
55
56 $ su
57 # mysql < /usr/share/mythtv/database/mc.sql
58
59 Anyway, if you go through these docs I think there's enough for you to
60 get running, although the specific USE flags you might want are
61 probably not well documented here.
64 >> If you need help or jsut want to ask questions about flags or
65 >> operation write back.
66 >
67 > It's just that I would have sworn I'd seen a pretty complete
68 > Gentoo MythTv HOWTO at some point, but I sure can't find it
69 > now.  [I was primarily interested in hints for doing a
70 > "backend-only" install.] Anyway, I was surprised there didn't
71 > seem to be a HOWTO.  I've done some fairly obscure stuff on
72 > Gentoo, and I think this is the first time I've wanted to do
73 > something and haven't found a detail HOWTO document.
74
75 I think that was all lost when the Gentoo WIki got wiped out. I
76 remember what you are talking about but I don't remember seeing it in
77 the last year.
78
79 Hope this helps,
80 Mark