From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Official Gentoo MythTV Install Guide: never installs mythtv
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 03:15:10
1 On 2009-06-12, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >>> I'm about to have a go at replacing my dedicated Knoppmyth
4 >>> FE/BE box with a backend on my "general purpose" Gentoo
5 >>> desktop and a dedicated diskless frontend on an Intel Mac
6 >>> Mini.
7 >>>
8 >>> Towards that end I'm looking at the "Official Gentoo MythTV
9 >>> Install Guide" at
10 >>>
11 >>>   http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/mythtv/
12 >>>
13 >>> I don't see anywhere in the process that mythtv is actually
14 >>> installed.
15
16 > That doc was last updated in 2005. It's woefully out of date.
17
18 You're right -- I hadn't noticed the last modified date.
19 Unfortunately, the Gentoo wiki page on MythTv has a pointer to
20 that page right at the top.
21
22 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/MythTV
23
24 > Use the Gentoo specific info on the www.MythTV.org site and
25 > you'll do fine.
26
27 At the risk of seeming a bit dim... what Gentoo specific info?
28
29 The page at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Linux_Distros#Gentoo has
30 4 links to Gentoo setup guides. Three of them don't exist, and
31 the fourth is the previously mentioned "official" install guide
32 that hasn't been updated in 4 years and doesn't actually show
33 mythtv being installed.
34
35 > If you need help or jsut want to ask questions about flags or
36 > operation write back.
37
38 It's just that I would have sworn I'd seen a pretty complete
39 Gentoo MythTv HOWTO at some point, but I sure can't find it
40 now. [I was primarily interested in hints for doing a
41 "backend-only" install.] Anyway, I was surprised there didn't
42 seem to be a HOWTO. I've done some fairly obscure stuff on
43 Gentoo, and I think this is the first time I've wanted to do
44 something and haven't found a detail HOWTO document.
47 Grant