From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} open-source: chat, tasks, resources, code
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 21:44:39
1 On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>> Is ejabberd difficult to run over the internet safely?
3 >>
4 >> I doubt it. But you'd want to give the docs a thorough reading to make
5 >> sure you have security questions locked down properly. Off the top of
6 >> my head...don't allow remote registrations (i.e. don't allow clients
7 >> to create accounts). Require SSL/TLS. Always make sure you're up on
8 >> the latest security patches.
9 >>
10 >> Beyond that, you'd have to read docs. Which is what a lot of
11 >> self-described sysadmins can't be bothered to do.
12 >
13 > Fair enough. It sounds like IRC is especially tricky with regard to
14 > security but ejabberd isn't.
15
16 Dunno about that. You can set up IRC to be "authorized-users only" as
17 well. I imagine the only real difference for you would be the variety
18 of software clients your users have available to them.
19
20 (Also, as an aside, I've been at places with internal XMPP and with
21 internal IRC. I've found internal IRC to be far more flexible and
22 comfortable.)
25 :wq