From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/hosts include file?
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 02:33:59
1 On 03/10/2013 09:56 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 03/10/2013 06:00 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
3 >>>
4 >>> It's been ages since I looked at that link and longer addresses
5 >>> would certainly be needed anyway but certainly with DNSSEC again
6 >>> concocted by costly unthoughtful and unengaging groups who chose
7 >>> to ignore DJB and enable amplification attacks.
8 >
9 >> What from DJB did they ignore? I honestly don't know what you're
10 >> talking about.
13 > This was a non-sequitur as far as I can tell, but I remember the
14 > amplification attack from a talk:
15 >
16 > http://vimeo.com/18279777 (video)
17 > http://cr.yp.to/talks/2010.12.28/slides.pdf (slides)
18 >
19 > It was a really good talk, however you feel about DJB.
23 Didn't watch the video, but I did read the slide deck. It's a good read,
24 even if I disagree with a number of key points, disagree with the tack
25 taken as a solution, and further think the presenter cherry-picked his
26 arguments, amplified inconsequential pieces of the problem space and
27 skipped over obvious problems with his approach. (Hm. I suspect I'm
28 formulating an opinion on DJB, and I didn't have one a couple hours
29 ago...) (That said, he does seem to know how to use slide decks properly!)
32 I believe Kevin's position is that, while I cited "secure your DNS" in
33 response to some of the arguments raised by a slide deck he linked to,
34 "securing your DNS" would likely involve using DNSSEC, which DJB argues
35 enable amplification attacks.