From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reconstructing a Gentoo Installer Computer
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 15:24:21
1 On 5/31/06, Timothy A. Holmes <tholmes@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Neil -
4 >
5 > I understand your suggestion -- I used the installer as an attempted
6 > shortcut after having done several (5+) installs via the basic disk and
7 > the handbook. I have paid for that error in spades - believe me --
8 > since then I have done an additional 5 or so installations by hand from
9 > the basic disk. I understand the processes there, I was hoping to
10 > rescue the additional time for the snort install etc by being able to
11 > just recompile stuff rather than have to start over from the beginning,
12 > the system is currently running, so I may just end up putting off the
13 > rebuild till this summer when I have a bit more time -- I was hoping to
14 > be able to change the use flags, build a new kernel and be done with it,
15 > but that doesn't look to be the case
16
17 Tim...
18
19 I concur with Neil's assessment that you should just wipe the box and
20 start afresh, the main reason being that you should be running
21 hardened sources and USE="-*" instead of trying to do a basic install.
22 Security related boxes such as firewalls, routers, and IDS should be a
23 slim as possible to eliminate potential for security holes and in all
24 cases they should be running with the hardened profile. Just my $0.02.
25
26 -Mike
31 Michael E. Crute
32 http://mike.crute.org
33
34 It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
35 --Douglas Adams
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list