From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge util-linx; util-linux and sysvinit block eachother.
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 10:36:20
1 On 06/09/2014 10:01 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 09/06/2014 21:15, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
3 >> Am Montag, 9. Juni 2014, 13:28:03 schrieb Alan Mackenzie:
4 >>> Hi, Gentoo!
5 >>>
6 >>> The latest episode of my months long update saga.
7 >>>
8 >> [snip]
9 >>> This all seems crazy. Keeping Gentoo up to date shouldn't be this
10 >>> difficult.
11 >> You are making it artificially complicated by doing it piecewise. Whenever you
12 >> try to update only part of your tree, emerge cannot do changes anywhere else,
13 >> which means that other stuff can block your intended changes.
14 >>
15 >> emerge can do a lot more if you let it run over the whole world set.
16 >>
17 >> [which doesnt mean that blockers are impossible then. just that emerge has a
18 >> lot more free hand to work around them.]
19 >>
20 >> emerge -uDNavt --backtrack=100 world
23 > +1 to just letting portage work with world.
24 >
25 > What I have found useful when trying to do what Alan is attempting, is
26 > to select a chunk of packages at a time (like say all of kde, then a
27 > bunch of daemons). If I get a block, drop it and try the next chunk.
28
29 you might also like to know about my favourite flag "keep-going", which
30 drops the failed emerge and goes to the next non-dependent on what failed.
31 emerge -uDNa --keep-going
32
33 > Don't try fiddle, just proceed with things that will update without
34 > tripping over everything else.
35 >
36 > In this way you can whittle down the gigantic list of things portage
37 > wants to update bit by bit till a world update gets to a manageable length.
38 >
39 > Still easier to just do everything at once