From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge util-linx; util-linux and sysvinit block eachother.
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 21:02:01
1 On 09/06/2014 21:15, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Am Montag, 9. Juni 2014, 13:28:03 schrieb Alan Mackenzie:
3 >> Hi, Gentoo!
4 >>
5 >> The latest episode of my months long update saga.
6 >>
7 > [snip]
8 >>
9 >> This all seems crazy. Keeping Gentoo up to date shouldn't be this
10 >> difficult.
11 >
12 > You are making it artificially complicated by doing it piecewise. Whenever you
13 > try to update only part of your tree, emerge cannot do changes anywhere else,
14 > which means that other stuff can block your intended changes.
15 >
16 > emerge can do a lot more if you let it run over the whole world set.
17 >
18 > [which doesnt mean that blockers are impossible then. just that emerge has a
19 > lot more free hand to work around them.]
20 >
21 > emerge -uDNavt --backtrack=100 world
25 +1 to just letting portage work with world.
26
27 What I have found useful when trying to do what Alan is attempting, is
28 to select a chunk of packages at a time (like say all of kde, then a
29 bunch of daemons). If I get a block, drop it and try the next chunk.
30 Don't try fiddle, just proceed with things that will update without
31 tripping over everything else.
32
33 In this way you can whittle down the gigantic list of things portage
34 wants to update bit by bit till a world update gets to a manageable length.
35
36 Still easier to just do everything at once
41 Alan McKinnon
42 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com