From: Joseph <syscon@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fstab devmode
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:05:12
1 On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 23:44 +0200, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 > > It is a usb stick so it has a vfat file system. However, I've reformat
3 > > the stick with fdisk to ext2 filesystem. With vfat it has 978mb
4 > > capacity now after formating is to ext2 it has a 913mb capacity.
5 > > Is there a way to create dos (vfat) partition with Linux fdisk utility?
6 >
7 > As far as i know fdisk is just for partitioning, i think you can use
8 > mkfs.vfat from sys-fs/dosfstools for creating vfat file-system.
9
10 Yes, that is what I want it to do.
11 Originally my 1Mb stick with dos partition had 978Mb on it.
12 I've partitioned it to Linux partition and formated as ext2, the free
13 disk space went down to 913Mb
14 So I went back to DOS partition and (with Linux fdisk it is option "t")
15 and my usb disk space went up to 977Mb
16 Harm Geerts is right (thanks) "umask=0077" does what I need with dos
17 partition, when mounted, usb stick has a permission 700.
18 What would be an alternative for ext2 file system, umask doesn't work.
21 #Joseph
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list