From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Frozen after Upgrade
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 22:54:32
1 CJoeB wrote:
2 > On 05/03/10 10:10, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I think there is a interactive mode or something too. It is done by
5 >> hitting the "I" key during the first part of the boot up. Just say No
6 >> to xdm or whatever starts your GUI.
7 >>
8 >> Lots of options here. lol
9 >>
10 >> Dale
11 >>
12 > Thanks, Dale, for the figurative "whack in the head"! I knew about
13 > interactive mode, but never even thought of it. Doing this, I was able
14 > to boot to a command line. Then, I took Remy's advise and re-emerged
15 > xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-keyboard-mouse. Turns out that they both
16 > needed updating. This fixed everything.
17 >
18 > Sorry, if I was a little terse. I panicked. I keep all responses to
19 > problems I've posted in case I run into the same thing again. So thanks
20 > guys for coming though for me as always!
21 >
22 > Regards,
23 >
24 > Colleen
28 Oh trust me, I knew where you were. I been there. Anyone want me to
29 start talking about the xorg-server upgrade with hal enabled?
30
31 I think most people missed the point that your keyboard would not allow
32 you to do anything. I noticed that and knew exactly what position you
33 were in. You also need to make a note about the alt sysrq key sequence
34 as well. That can be a HUGE life saver. It will at least keep you from
35 having to do a hard shutdown. I have had a couple times that I was
36 stuck at the login screen and nothing else would get me back to a
37 console. If you use the alt sysrq sequence, it will at least give you a
38 sane shutdown, even if it is done blindly.
39
40 Glad you got it working.
41
42 Dale