From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 16:09:02
1 On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > You should use the AMD64 handbook, not the x86 handbook, if you're trying
6 > install on x86_64 hardware.
7 >
8 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64
9 >
10 > More importantly, you should be booted into a 64-bit environment. That
11 > means
12 > using a 64-bit live image for your initial boot, and using an amd64 stage3.
13 >
14 > EFI has similar requirements; you'll need to be booted via EFI in the first
15 > place in order to set up the bootloader properly; your firmware won't make
16 > the
17 > necessary hardware calls available to register your bootloader if you're
18 > not
19 > booted in EFI mode.
20 >
21 > HTH
24 I had read similar thoughts about booting into a 64 bit environment before
25 posting and had gone to some effort to figure out whether the sysrescuecd
26 kernel was, in fact, 64 bit. Its /proc/config.gz seemed to indicate 64
27 bit, as did uname -a. But I really don't know if there is a definitive way
28 of determining whether a running kernel is 64 or 32 bit.
29
30 I was booted via EFI, so that part of my installation process was correct.
31
32 I never thought to look in the AMD64 handbook. Thanks for the suggestion -
33 will give it a try.
34
35 John