From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can not mount USB stick as user
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 16:09:12
1 On 02/06/14 09:09, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 >On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 17:32:13 -0700, Joseph wrote:
3 >
4 >> >You don't need to change grub.conf to reboot with different options,
5 >> >just press e and edit the options in place.
6 >
7 >> When I try to boot I'm getting an error:
8 >>
9 >> VFS: Can not open device "hda3" or unknown block (0,0): error -6
10 >
11 >You can change GRUB settings from the GRUB menu, before you try to boot
12 >the kernel, press e as in my previous post.
13 >
14 >It seems you are getting into a mess with the systemd switch and trying
15 >all sorts of things at random. The old rule of "when you find yourself in
16 >a hold, stop digging" applies here.
17 >
18 >Stop making changes in the hope of getting things working, when you could
19 >be making them worse to the extent that your system will still be broken
20 >when you fix the original problem. Go back to the systemd wiki page and
21 >follow it carefully, making sure you both understand and complete each
22 >step, otherwise I see things getting worse for you.
25 >--
26 >Neil Bothwick
27 >
28 >Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.
29
30 I copied an old kernel config file from /boot did "make oldconfig" enable
31 "systemd" in the kernel
32 put the grub.conf "... init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd"
33 and it booted OK but I have no X display, no network :-/
34
35 I just realized that "systemd" it is almost like learning configuring new OS.
36 I have no time for this so I'm back pedaling to udev :-/
39 Joseph