From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard Drive Crash - Please Help
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:23:40
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 09:47:51 -0800, Grant wrote:
3 >
4 >> My laptop is currently still copying everything to my desktop system
5 >> via tar and ssh. I generally have to run rc on the desktop system
6 >> periodically to make sure network-dependent services are still running
7 >> as the desktop sometimes loses the wireless connection temporarily.
8 >> When I ran rc this morning, I saw that ssh started so it must have
9 >> stopped some time overnight as it usually does. The laptop was still
10 >> running the tar | ssh command I had started the night before. Could
11 >> the desktop be missing some of the laptop's data since the desktop
12 >> wasn't running ssh all night, or would it "catch up" now that ssh is
13 >> running?
14 >
15 > Use rsync to make sure the copy contains an exact copy of the laptop's
16 > files.
19 Please use rsync. The idea of that tar ssh nonsense makes my head hurt
20 especially if it's getting interrupted often. rsync has the ability to
21 walk the filesystem and then only transfer the things that are missing
22 in incomplete.
23
24 I'd use some variation on this command line
25 rsync -avz -e "ssh -c blowfish" /src $user@dest_server:/dst/
26
27 The Blowfish encryption requires the least CPU in my experience and that
28 may make things faster.
29
30 You can also buy a standard IDE to laptop harddrive converter cable for
31 under $10. Plug you laptop hard drive into your desktop, start you
32 desktop, mount the laptop drive, and rsync away between your disk.
33
34 kashani
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list