From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard Drive Crash - Please Help
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 20:26:35
1 On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 09:47:51 -0800, Grant wrote:
2
3 > My laptop is currently still copying everything to my desktop system
4 > via tar and ssh. I generally have to run rc on the desktop system
5 > periodically to make sure network-dependent services are still running
6 > as the desktop sometimes loses the wireless connection temporarily.
7 > When I ran rc this morning, I saw that ssh started so it must have
8 > stopped some time overnight as it usually does. The laptop was still
9 > running the tar | ssh command I had started the night before. Could
10 > the desktop be missing some of the laptop's data since the desktop
11 > wasn't running ssh all night, or would it "catch up" now that ssh is
12 > running?
13
14 Use rsync to make sure the copy contains an exact copy of the laptop's
15 files.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 "Be strict when sending and tolerant when receiving."
22 RFC 1958 - Architectural Principles of the Internet - section 3.9