From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Root device as UUID not properly detected
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 21:15:22
1 On Tuesday, October 06, 2015 07:19:59 PM João Miguel wrote:
2 > How do I know if any of these happen?
3 >
4 > > Possible causes:
5 > > 1. USB stick doesn't work as boot device
6 >
7 > Well, it did with Arch, the boot partition has the boot, legacy_boot and
8 > esp flags. Plus if anything was to be problematic, I'd assume it would
9 > be BIOS or syslinux detection of the drive bootable device, not mounting.
10
11 Ok, so scratch that one.
12
13 > > 2. USB port is not supported by kernel
14 >
15 > I'm not sure what you mean. Is there any option I should enable for
16 > genkernel? I read on the Wiki page that
17
18 It works with Arch, are you using the same kernel options now with Gentoo?
19
20 > > 3. You don't use root_delay as boot option
21 >
22 > If that's what I think it is, I tell syslinux to wait 5 seconds.
23
24 How do you tell it that?
25
26 > It does
27 > work. In every computer. It's when it starts loading modules and all,
28 > reaching the point where initrd needs to mount the root device that it
29 > gives an error. I don't know how to tell it to wait there though. And as
30 > I said, even if I did, it wouldn't work on all computers, on some initrd
31 > cant figure it out at all.
32
33 I never used an initrd when building my own USB sticks.
34 I was talking about:
35 rootdelay= [KNL] Delay (in seconds) to pause before attempting to
36 mount the root filesystem
37
38 (See the file "kernel-parameters.txt" in the kernel Documentation)
39
40 > > Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
41 >
42 > No problem, thanks for the response. I'm just baffled with this error.
43 > João Miguel
44
45 That's a default signature... :)