From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Preventing new versions of gentoo-sources…
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 07:45:12
1 On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 22:51:15 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > When I /am/ ready to upgrade to a newer Minor version, I will just
4 > > update my /etc/portage/package.mask/gentoo-sources file.
5
6 > I admit, it seems to be a cleaner way of doing it than what I'm doing.
7 > I may even give that a try but for me, I rarely update.  I know,
8 > security fixes.  Heck, if I update every day, there would still be some
9 > security problem with the kernel.  I may even end up with one that is
10 > worse than a older version.  Plus, I keep my system so busy, I just
11 > don't have the time to reboot that much.
12
13 It's exactly how I do it. I have some hardware that won't run on anything
14 later than the 4.9 series, so I simply mask everything newer. It seems
15 the cleanest and simplest way of doing it.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 C: (n.) the language following A and B. The world still awaits D and
22 E. By Z, it may be acceptable for general use.