From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Preventing new versions of gentoo-sources…
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 03:51:23
1 Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 6/19/19 8:51 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Honestly, I'm not sure there is a easy way to do this.
4 >
5 > I'm actually happy with what Vadim recommended.
6 >
7 > It keeps me within the minor (?) version of the kernel that I want to
8 > stay within, while still allowing updates to new micro (?) versions.
9 >
10 > Is Major, Minor, and Micro versions the proper term?
11 >
12 > 4.14.120 being
13 > Major:  4
14 > Minor:  14
15 > Micro:  120
16 >
17 > # cat /etc/portage/package.mask/gentoo-sources
18 > >sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.15
19 >
20 > When I /am/ ready to upgrade to a newer Minor version, I will just
21 > update my /etc/portage/package.mask/gentoo-sources file.
26 I admit, it seems to be a cleaner way of doing it than what I'm doing.
27 I may even give that a try but for me, I rarely update.  I know,
28 security fixes.  Heck, if I update every day, there would still be some
29 security problem with the kernel.  I may even end up with one that is
30 worse than a older version.  Plus, I keep my system so busy, I just
31 don't have the time to reboot that much.
32
33 It seems you like that way and it works best for your situation and that
34 is what matters.  Sometimes there are many ways to do things but some
35 just work better in certain situations.  Just have to pick what works
36 best.
37
38 Dale
39