From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: waltdnes@××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DOSEMU
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 16:01:38
1 Hello Walter,
2
3 Your response is much appreciated (see notes below).
4
5 David
6
7 On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 09:24:41 -0400
8 Walter Dnes wrote:
9
10 > On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 07:39:31PM -0400, David Relson wrote
11 >
12 > > > Perhaps you should try to enable the svga use flag?
13 > >
14 > > Worth a try, though VGA graphics are all that's needed ...
15 >
16 > You need svgalib not for the resolution, but for the ability to do
17 > graphics on a text console. Before you build anything I recommend
18 > doing 2 things...
19 >
20 > 1) putting "-svga" in USE in /etc/make.conf
21 >
22 > svga has to pound away directly at I/O ports in order to do graphics
23 > in a text console. This requires root-level permissions. So dosemu
24 > will need to run either setuid or setgid. If you put "svga" in your
25 > main USE variable, you'll find *A LOT* of stuff will eventually be
26 > linked to the svga libs and it will all need to run either setuid or
27 > setgid
28
29 svga isn't in /etc/make.conf, so dosemu was built with -svga.
30
31 > 2) putting the line...
32 >
33 > app-emulation/dosemu svga
34 >
35 > ...in /etc/portage/package.use so that only dosemu links to the svga
36 > libs and needs to run setuid/setgid.
37
38 has been added
39
40 > Note that you should really be running dosemu *FROM A TEXT CONSOLE*
41 > in order to emulate running in DOS on a 486SX. An optional flag is
42 > "gpm", which links in support for using the mouse on a text console.
43 > Does your program, or any other program you run in dosemu, require
44 > mouse support?
45
46 The target device has limited storage and doesn't have X. For sure,
47 the goal is "command line; _no_ X". Running on the application on the
48 target just gives a black screen, so I needed to see if another
49 environment would give a different result. Also, I was using a
50 pre-built binary of dosemu and don't know what options it was built
51 with.
52
53 FWIW, my 32-bit gentoo system has an AMD Geode LX graphics chip and
54 DOSEMU complains of access to port 0xAC1C which is part of the linux
55 kernel's geode drive which is defined in asm/geode.h as
56
57 #define VSA_VRC_INDEX 0xAC1C
58
59 Does DOSEMU have any expectations of a kernel built with a generic VGA
60 driver?
63 > Plan B) If all else fails, enter the line...
64 >
65 > games-emulation/dosbox svga
66
67 I am but vaguely aware of dosbox and it's on my list of things to try.
68 I appreciate your mentionning it.
69
70 > ...in /etc/portage/package.use and remember "-svga" in USE. Then
71 > "emerge --ask dosbox". Same notes about svga apply here. dosbox is
72 > damn good for DOS emulation. I've run QBASIC, and dBASE IV complete
73 > with DOS-4GW memory extender under dosbox, as well as a bunch of
74 > *REALLY* old DOS games. What takes the cake is that I was actually
75 > able to install Windows 3.1 in dosbox, just like the "good-ole-days"
76 > when you installed Windows over DOS. This was to run an ancient
77 > Chessmaster 3000 game. It runs under either Win3.1 or Win95, but I
78 > never could get it working under WINE. Under Windows 3.1 on dosbox,
79 > the emulation is perfect, and Chessmaster 3000 whips me mercilessly,
80 > just like before.
81 >
82 > --
83 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>