From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DOSEMU
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 13:24:45
1 On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 07:39:31PM -0400, David Relson wrote
2
3 > > Perhaps you should try to enable the svga use flag?
4 >
5 > Worth a try, though VGA graphics are all that's needed ...
6
7 You need svgalib not for the resolution, but for the ability to do
8 graphics on a text console. Before you build anything I recommend doing
9 2 things...
10
11 1) putting "-svga" in USE in /etc/make.conf
12
13 svga has to pound away directly at I/O ports in order to do graphics in
14 a text console. This requires root-level permissions. So dosemu will
15 need to run either setuid or setgid. If you put "svga" in your main USE
16 variable, you'll find *A LOT* of stuff will eventually be linked to the
17 svga libs and it will all need to run either setuid or setgid
18
19 2) putting the line...
20
21 app-emulation/dosemu svga
22
23 ...in /etc/portage/package.use so that only dosemu links to the svga
24 libs and needs to run setuid/setgid.
25
26 Note that you should really be running dosemu *FROM A TEXT CONSOLE* in
27 order to emulate running in DOS on a 486SX. An optional flag is "gpm",
28 which links in support for using the mouse on a text console. Does your
29 program, or any other program you run in dosemu, require mouse support?
30
31 Plan B) If all else fails, enter the line...
32
33 games-emulation/dosbox svga
34
35 ...in /etc/portage/package.use and remember "-svga" in USE. Then
36 "emerge --ask dosbox". Same notes about svga apply here. dosbox is
37 damn good for DOS emulation. I've run QBASIC, and dBASE IV complete with
38 DOS-4GW memory extender under dosbox, as well as a bunch of *REALLY* old
39 DOS games. What takes the cake is that I was actually able to install
40 Windows 3.1 in dosbox, just like the "good-ole-days" when you installed
41 Windows over DOS. This was to run an ancient Chessmaster 3000 game. It
42 runs under either Win3.1 or Win95, but I never could get it working
43 under WINE. Under Windows 3.1 on dosbox, the emulation is perfect, and
44 Chessmaster 3000 whips me mercilessly, just like before.
47 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>