From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] planning a new machine : comments welcome
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 21:50:48
1 On 04/03/2022 21:18, Laurence Perkins wrote:
2 > I’d probably wait another year for all the bugs to work their way out of
3 > the system before trying it on purpose, but if you have non-critical
4 > systems to play with, well, the SMR drives are rather a lot cheaper…  I
5 > got a few for one of my server chassis because they can cram 5TB of
6 > storage into a 2.5” drive that fits in the bay for only $120.
7
8 But are they?
9
10 Okay, this is a 3.5", but I paid £180 I think for 8TB in a decent CMR
11 package (Toshiba N300). It was a backup drive, I was open to SMR, but
12 didn't think they were value for money.
13
14 Cheers,
15 Wol