From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] planning a new machine : comments welcome
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 22:19:45
3 >-----Original Message-----
4 >From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
5 >Sent: Friday, March 4, 2022 1:51 PM
6 >To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 >Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] planning a new machine : comments welcome
8 >
9 >On 04/03/2022 21:18, Laurence Perkins wrote:
10 >> I’d probably wait another year for all the bugs to work their way out
11 >> of the system before trying it on purpose, but if you have
12 >> non-critical systems to play with, well, the SMR drives are rather a
13 >> lot cheaper… I got a few for one of my server chassis because they
14 >> can cram 5TB of storage into a 2.5” drive that fits in the bay for only $120.
15 >
16 >But are they?
17 >
18 >Okay, this is a 3.5", but I paid £180 I think for 8TB in a decent CMR package (Toshiba N300). It was a backup drive, I was open to SMR, but didn't think they were value for money.
19 >
20 >Cheers,
21 >Wol
25 3.5" gives a lot more platter area. Pi-r-squared and all that. I couldn't find anything larger than 1TB CMR in a 2.5" package from anyone, and those were old stock. Seagate doesn't make *any* CMR 2.5" anymore, not even the 500GB ones.
26 Even flash devices are going zoned it seems. Simplifies the controller and lets you cram more storage onto the chips.
27
28 Unfortunately the chassis in question only takes 2.5" or smaller. Otherwise I would definitely have preferred some 3.5", 12TB CMR surveillance-grade drives.
29
30 LMP