From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] planning a new machine : comments welcome
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 22:41:50
1 <SNIP>
5 > 3.5" gives a lot more platter area. Pi-r-squared and all that. I couldn't find anything larger than 1TB CMR in a 2.5" package from anyone, and those were old stock. Seagate doesn't make *any* CMR 2.5" anymore, not even the 500GB ones.
6 > Even flash devices are going zoned it seems. Simplifies the controller and lets you cram more storage onto the chips.
7 >
8 > Unfortunately the chassis in question only takes 2.5" or smaller. Otherwise I would definitely have preferred some 3.5", 12TB CMR surveillance-grade drives.
9 >
10 > LMP
11
12 This sort of problem is why I went the direction of 1TB M.2 internally
13 and a 16TB RAID1 TrueNAS file server externally. I don't think this
14 would work for gamers but for me it's a nice enough solution where all
15 the spinning rust is in another box.
16
17 - Mark