From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The future of linux, and Gentoo specifically now
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 04:55:21
1 On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 21:05:16 +0000 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 20:25:22 +0200, Gevisz wrote:
4 >
5 > > I switched from Ubuntu 10.04 to Gentoo just because it forced closing
6 > > window button "x" to the upper-left corner of the window in Unity of
7 > > Ubuntu 12.04 while I used to look for it in the upper-right corner. :)
8 >
9 > Wouldn't it have been easier to use the simple configuration option to
10 > move the button back to where you expected it? Far less effort than
11 > switching distros.
12
13 No. It is not possible in Unity or, at least, it was not possible
14 in Unity at the time when Ubuntu 12.04 was released. They really
15 *forced* their users to accept the new place of the closing window
16 frame button and have argued that it is more ergonomic.
17
18 There was not any possibility to change the place of the closing
19 window frame button in Unity via configuration options. Quite a
20 lot of Ubuntu users complained about it yet in Ubuntu 10.04,
21 where the new place of that button was a new default though
22 it was possible to change it back via configuration options.
23 In Unity, it was absolutely impossible.
24
25 I even can agree with them that a new place of that button was
26 logical, ergonomic and saved screen space. So, there was nothing
27 bad placing it there by default, especially for those who never
28 used computer before.
29
30 Even more: if they just had changed a default and allowed changing
31 it back via configuration option, I would probably switched to the
32 new place of that button later.
33
34 It is *forcing* old users to change their habits just after upgrade
35 from Ubuntu 10.04 LST to Ubuntu 12.04 LST make me looking for an
36 alternative distribution. And it was the first time when I carefully
37 looked though all the alternatives and make my choice consciously.
38 (Before that my choice was mainly influenced by the people who
39 helped me to install and maintain my first Linux systems: Suse
40 at the time when it was still free :), Red Hat :(, or just advised
41 me to try them: Alt Linux, Ubuntu.)
42
43 I think that I made the right choice now and I like Gentoo
44 distribution, though it has its own shortcomings.
45
46 For example, Firefox 24.8.0 in stable Gentoo tree when outdated
47 Ubuntu 12.04 has Firefox 33.0. (It is not that I am running for
48 the version numbers but Google sites do not support Firefox 24.8
49 any more.)