From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] webkit-gtk grumbles
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 02:13:40
1 140616 walt wrote:
2 > I'm sick of building webkit-gtk.
3 > My oldest machine (a dual-core AMD64)
4 > has been building webkit for 6 hours and still going.
5
6 An entry in my home-made list of un/installed pkgs :
7
8 140322 net-libs/webkit-gtk-1.8.3-r201 [ 22 min : for gimp]
9
10 The date is when I removed it, having removed Gimp too ;
11 the time is compile+install time when I previously installed it ;
12 the current stable version is 2.2.6 , which mb much more demanding.
13
14 Generally, old hardware (how old is yours ? ) doesn't play well
15 with the latest versions of popular free software :
16 that's why there are distros designed for old hardware.
17
18 > Why does webkit-gtk drag in ruby and several ruby gems?
19 > I need them only because of webkit-gtk : I have no other need for ruby.
20
21 I've never had Ruby installed in this machine, so try juggling flags.
22
23 HTH
27 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
28 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
29 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca