From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kde4 - prints pdf file sideways
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 21:03:22
1 On 26 February 2010 05:01, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 02/25/10 16:18, daid kahl wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 25 February 2010 15:19, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> I just switched one of my machine to KDE4.3 and when I try to print "pdf"
7 >>> document it prints it sideways.
8 >>> I've tried Okurla and xpdf same effect.
9 >>>
10 >>> The "pdf" shows correctly on the screen and prints correctly from kde-3.5
11 >>> Is it a bug or I need to make a correction/adjustment somewhere?
12 >>>
13 >>> --
14 >>> Joseph
15 >>
16 >> Hello,
17 >>
18 >> I had a very similar problem to this in kde3.5 (I am not using kde4).
19 >> I don't seem to have kept a written record, and I don't have direct
20 >> access to a kde machine, but please test this idea.  It is very
21 >> strange.
22 >>
23 >> Open kedit, and go under the printing preferences and find something
24 >> like "print layout" which gives you a landscape or portrait.  Toggle
25 >> this to whichever one it is not.  Try printing again.
26 >>
27 >> This is very quaint, and the part that bothered me the most about it
28 >> was that, according to my tests and memory:
29 >> 1) this controls printing style for all users (including root)
30 >> 2) this controls printing style outside of kde
31 >>
32 >> See if this can help you.
33 >>
34 >> Regards,
35 >> daid
36 >
37 > You might be correct.
38 > When I print a document from my folder it printed correctly, but when my
39 > daughter logged in it is printing sideways. KDE4 does not have any printer
40 > setting, or does it?  I was able to find link to cups but nothing specific
41 > to kde4 printers.
42 >
43 > --
44 > Joseph
45
46 Couldn't say much about kde4, but it should have kedit anyway. It
47 would be a strange downgrade from 3.5, since I have to say, the kde
48 printing manager I found much better than gnome-cups-manager.
49 gnome-cups-manager never sees anything useful printers on networks
50 when I tried it, but kde print manager (whatever it's called) could
51 find lots of stuff.
52
53 But if the two users are getting different behavior, that's not
54 consistent with what I tried.
55
56 I'm sure kedit was accessing something else, but in any case, it's a
57 simple test case none-the-less.
58
59 ~daid