From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: FYI - 2.6.38 desktop responsiveness patch + how to do it now
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 20:55:59
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 21:25 on Saturday 20 November 2010, Nikos
2 Chantziaras did opine thusly:
3
4 > > About two months ago I did reboot into a gentoo kernel and things did
5 > > feel a little different but not in a way I could put my fingers on. I
6 > > put it down to running a huge compile in screen. I do feel the
7 > > incremental improvements in KDE since about 4.3, mostly because new
8 > > versions come out rapidly.
9 > >
10 > > What do you perceive with BFS vs mainline/gentoo/whatever?
11 >
12 > Less stalls in animations. A classic example is mplayer stalling when I
13 > move the mouse over the clock to the right of the system tray in KDE.
14 > KDE will fade-in a pop-up that contains details about the current date.
15 > For the duration of the fade-in, mplayer will stop playing frames.
16 > This is a "stall." It seems that the compositor of KDE gets way more
17 > CPU than it should resulting in mplayer starving for CPU. With BFS,
18 > this does not happen.
19
20 I'm running 2.6.36-ck-r2 and mplayer is smooth as a baby's backside - KDE
21 animations have no effect on that. The two things that do slow my desktop down
22 are when nepomuk decides to do it's thing (and I still haven't found a way to
23 tweak how aggresively it does that) and when kontact can't find the imap
24 server on Exchange.
25
26 It's been so long since I used a vanilla or gentoo kernel I honestly can't
27 recall what it was like. And testing it means a reboot. Hopefully when I next
28 reboot I'll remember what to compare against.
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com