From: Jakob Buchgraber <jakob.buchgraber@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] My harddisk doesn't want to spin down permanently
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 19:30:05
Hello!

I've been trying to get the standby of my harddisk work for hours. I am
actually really frustrated  :-) . My problem is that whenever I but my
hdd to standby, it stays there for a few seconds and then comes back to
work again. So I first thought that there must be any program accessing
the harddisk on a regular basis. So I ran lm-profiler - but nothin'.
There is no program accessing my hdd.

I tried both. laptop-mode and hdparm to get my hdd to standby.

*/etc/init.d/laptop-mode start (default configuration)*

and

*hdparm -S 5 /dev/sda*

I don't get any error messages. My hdd just doesn't want to spin down
permanently...

It's an SATA drive (/dev/sd*).

Any hint?

Cheers,