From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] youtube-dl has been very slow
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 21:42:02
1 On Sat, 06 Nov 2021 16:51:47 -0400,
2 tastytea wrote:
3 >
4 > [1 <text/plain; US-ASCII (quoted-printable)>]
5 > On 2021-11-06 16:32-0400 John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Hi. If I try to play a youtube video using a console app like mpv, or
8 > > if I try to download a youtube video directly by using youtube-dl, the
9 > > speed is about dialup speed. Now, I have a Winblows box in the same
10 > > network and I don't get the slowdown. I have a program there which
11 > > downloads the same exact youtube video quite rapidly. Is youtube-dl
12 > > doing something wrong maybe by having a wrong user agent, or is there
13 > > something else to be done? My version is 2021.06.06. This seems
14 > > quite old to me for this program.
15 > >
16 > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
19 > Google changed something to make youtube-dl slow and its development
20 > seems to have stopped.
21 >
22 > The fork everyone is using now is yt-dlp (net-misc/yt-dlp). It
23 > downloads with normal speeds. The newest version of the ebuild installs
24 > a compatibility-wrapper so programs calling youtube-dl will
25 > automatically use yt-dlp instead.
28 Thanks much, I will try this out.
31 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
32 How do
33 you spend it?
34
35 John Covici wb2una