From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] youtube-dl has been very slow
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 20:52:35
1 On 2021-11-06 16:32-0400 John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Hi. If I try to play a youtube video using a console app like mpv, or
4 > if I try to download a youtube video directly by using youtube-dl, the
5 > speed is about dialup speed. Now, I have a Winblows box in the same
6 > network and I don't get the slowdown. I have a program there which
7 > downloads the same exact youtube video quite rapidly. Is youtube-dl
8 > doing something wrong maybe by having a wrong user agent, or is there
9 > something else to be done? My version is 2021.06.06. This seems
10 > quite old to me for this program.
11 >
12 > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
15 Google changed something to make youtube-dl slow and its development
16 seems to have stopped.
17
18 The fork everyone is using now is yt-dlp (net-misc/yt-dlp). It
19 downloads with normal speeds. The newest version of the ebuild installs
20 a compatibility-wrapper so programs calling youtube-dl will
21 automatically use yt-dlp instead.
22
23 Kind regards, tastytea
26 Get my PGP key with `gpg --locate-keys tastytea@××××××××.de` or at