From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Should I be worried that I won't be able to dual boot in Gentoo?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 19:57:45
1 On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 26 Sep 2011 20:29:14 Jonas de Buhr wrote:
3 >> >> between a fully-signed system (Windows 9 / OS XI or so) or a cracked
4 >> >> boot, with little in the way of switching between the two, at least
5 >> >> initially
6 >> >>
7 >> >> I know which one I'd pick if it came down to it :)
8 >> >
9 >> >And you really need not worry about it, some geek (Torvalds?) will
10 >> >surely find out a way.
11 >>
12 >> yes, there will most likely be a technical way to circumvent it. the
13 >> problem is that involved companies might try (and likely succeed) to
14 >> make that illegal.
15 >> the reasoning will be this: it is assumed that you only make that
16 >> modification to run pirated copies of commercial operating systems.
17 >>
18 >> that you will also need that mod to run free operating systems on it
19 >> will just not count. at least not for commercially offering the mod.
20 >> just look at decss. or playstation mod chips.
21 >
22 > I am assuming that unlike the old days when I used to boot Linux on PCs using
23 > a floppy with SmartBootManager, now we'll need to generate some key/hash for
24 > our freshly compiled kernel, then add it to the BIOS firmware and flash the
25 > BIOS with it before we are able to boot into it?
26 >
27 > Is it more complicated than that?
28
29 Just a hunch, but I think the BIOS will probably be signed. Perhaps in
30 replacement of the existing checksum functionality.
31
32 I *really* wonder what this is going to do to diagnosis tools. OEMs of
33 Compaq/HP/Packard Bell's stature* strike me as likely to use it as a
34 lock-in for having machines diagnosed and fixed by certified
35 technicians.
38 * Meaning, dirt-cheap pre-built PCs and laptops.
39 --
40 :wq