From: "Sebastian Beßler" <sebastian@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Should I be worried that I won't be able to dual boot in Gentoo?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 21:02:09
1 Am 26.09.2011 21:56, schrieb Michael Mol:
2
3 >> Is it more complicated than that?
4
5 > Just a hunch, but I think the BIOS will probably be signed. Perhaps in
6 > replacement of the existing checksum functionality.
7
8 I have something like that on my Motorola Milestone Android Phone.
9 It is not possible to change the kernel because the bootloader is signed
10 and only loads signed kernels. The "BIOS" of the phone is signed so that
11 you can't change the bootloader.
12 Milestone is out for about 2 years now, many smart people tried to hack
13 it but till now no luck and it does not look like it will be hacked ever.
14 I fear that something like that will come to most laptops and many ready
15 built desktop computers in a few years. It will likely still be possible
16 to buy mainboards without it, for a high prize I also fear.
17
18 Greetings
19
20 Sebastian Beßler