From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Deliberately obfuscating my code
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 15:42:53
1 >>>> Should I only hire coders I can sit in the same room with?
2 >>>
3 >>> That will probably work best, but it will cost more.
4 >>>
5 >>> Have you ever managed a programming team before?
6 >>
7 >> I haven't.  Any pointers?
8 >
9 > Not really.  Just be prepared for the programmers to misunderstand the
10 > specification at every turn.  And once they've understood the spec, be
11 > prepared for them to just plain screw up the implementation.
12 >
13 > Unless you're hiring programmers who have a very good understanding of
14 > the problem space, they're not going to understand the spec.  They are
15 > going to do the wrong thing in the first several iterations before
16 > they finally understand what it is that you want.  Some of the "wrong
17 > things" will violate the spec. Many won't.
18 >
19 > It's like hiring to build a house carpenters who've never seen a
20 > house, never heard of a house, and have no idea what a house is for.
21 >
22 > The first version will look like the drawings, but they'll have
23 > misunderstood the dimensions and the whole thing will be 3 feet high
24 > an 5 feet wide.  When you ask how people are going to fit in that,
25 > they're going to look at you completely dumbfounded because you never
26 > told them people had to fit inside -- how were they supposed to know
27 > that?
28 >
29 > The second version will be the right size, but the doors and windows
30 > won't open -- they'll be built solidly into the structure on all four
31 > sides.  When you ask why, they'll say "it's a lot stronger that way!"
32 > You'll say "but I told you people had to fit inside".  They'll reply
33 > that people _do_ fit inside.  You'll ask how are they going to _get_
34 > inside.  They'll say "the specification doesn't say that doors and
35 > windows have to open, so we implemented it the strongest way, and now
36 > people fit inside just like you said."
37 >
38 > [Repeat until you're out of time and/or money.]
39 >
40 > The only advice I've got is to do things in increments as small as
41 > possible.  Don't do "big bang" integration.  Make sure there is a
42 > runnable testable program after the first week of development. Maybe
43 > it doesn't implement any significant features, but you must have
44 > something runnable and testable at all times.  Otherwise, you can get
45 > too far down the wrong road before you finally figure out that either
46 > a) what you specified isn't going to work, or b) they didn't
47 > understand the specification at all.
48
49 Great advice from everyone, thank you. By hiring coders, the
50 intention is to save myself time and effort but it sounds like I would
51 only be replacing one problem with another. I'm really not sure how
52 to proceed but you guys have saved me from hurling myself into
53 something I didn't understand.
54
55 Trying to figure it out,
56 Grant