From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Deliberately obfuscating my code
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 14:36:00
1 On 2010-11-11, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >>> Should I only hire coders I can sit in the same room with?
4 >>
5 >> That will probably work best, but it will cost more.
6 >>
7 >> Have you ever managed a programming team before?
8 >
9 > I haven't. Any pointers?
10
11 Not really. Just be prepared for the programmers to misunderstand the
12 specification at every turn. And once they've understood the spec, be
13 prepared for them to just plain screw up the implementation.
14
15 Unless you're hiring programmers who have a very good understanding of
16 the problem space, they're not going to understand the spec. They are
17 going to do the wrong thing in the first several iterations before
18 they finally understand what it is that you want. Some of the "wrong
19 things" will violate the spec. Many won't.
20
21 It's like hiring to build a house carpenters who've never seen a
22 house, never heard of a house, and have no idea what a house is for.
23
24 The first version will look like the drawings, but they'll have
25 misunderstood the dimensions and the whole thing will be 3 feet high
26 an 5 feet wide. When you ask how people are going to fit in that,
27 they're going to look at you completely dumbfounded because you never
28 told them people had to fit inside -- how were they supposed to know
29 that?
30
31 The second version will be the right size, but the doors and windows
32 won't open -- they'll be built solidly into the structure on all four
33 sides. When you ask why, they'll say "it's a lot stronger that way!"
34 You'll say "but I told you people had to fit inside". They'll reply
35 that people _do_ fit inside. You'll ask how are they going to _get_
36 inside. They'll say "the specification doesn't say that doors and
37 windows have to open, so we implemented it the strongest way, and now
38 people fit inside just like you said."
39
40 [Repeat until you're out of time and/or money.]
41
42 The only advice I've got is to do things in increments as small as
43 possible. Don't do "big bang" integration. Make sure there is a
44 runnable testable program after the first week of development. Maybe
45 it doesn't implement any significant features, but you must have
46 something runnable and testable at all times. Otherwise, you can get
47 too far down the wrong road before you finally figure out that either
48 a) what you specified isn't going to work, or b) they didn't
49 understand the specification at all.
52 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Actually, what I'd
53 at like is a little toy
54 gmail.com spaceship!!