From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Deliberately obfuscating my code
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 17:34:52
1 >>> Grant, you need to stop being paranoid. ?I am surprised you even
2 >>> worked up the courage to let slip on here, in public, that you even
3 >>> have a sooper dooper sekrit project.
4 >>
5 >> This seems to be the general consensus.  You see, I don't have a
6 >> computer science degree and about 75% of what I know about Linux I
7 >> learned on this list.  Apparently this idea of mine is not a good
8 >> one.
9 >>
10 >> The "sekrit" isn't really a secret, it's just a mature piece of
11 >> ordinary software.  Most if not all of you wouldn't be interested in
12 >> receiving it for free, but people in the right industry would like to
13 >> have it and I'd like to keep it for myself.  Surely there is room for
14 >> private software even in an open source world.
15 >>
16 >> So it's either trust your coders or do it yourself?
17 >
18 > Yup, pretty much.
19 >
20 >> My budget is small and the coders I can afford are outside of the US.
21 >> I'd be working with them via chat, email, or phone.  Should I feel OK
22 >> about turning my source over to them?
23 >
24 > Yes, if you deal with reputable companies or individuals who's
25 > references you can verify.  If you're dealing with random individuals,
26 > then maybe.
27 >
28 >> Should I only hire coders I can sit in the same room with?
29 >
30 > That will probably work best, but it will cost more.
31 >
32 > Have you ever managed a programming team before?
33
34 I haven't. Any pointers?
35
36 - Grant