From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Deliberately obfuscating my code
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 15:05:56
1 On 2010-11-11, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> Grant, you need to stop being paranoid. ?I am surprised you even
3 >> worked up the courage to let slip on here, in public, that you even
4 >> have a sooper dooper sekrit project.
5 >
6 > This seems to be the general consensus. You see, I don't have a
7 > computer science degree and about 75% of what I know about Linux I
8 > learned on this list. Apparently this idea of mine is not a good
9 > one.
10 >
11 > The "sekrit" isn't really a secret, it's just a mature piece of
12 > ordinary software. Most if not all of you wouldn't be interested in
13 > receiving it for free, but people in the right industry would like to
14 > have it and I'd like to keep it for myself. Surely there is room for
15 > private software even in an open source world.
16 >
17 > So it's either trust your coders or do it yourself?
18
19 Yup, pretty much.
20
21 > My budget is small and the coders I can afford are outside of the US.
22 > I'd be working with them via chat, email, or phone. Should I feel OK
23 > about turning my source over to them?
24
25 Yes, if you deal with reputable companies or individuals who's
26 references you can verify. If you're dealing with random individuals,
27 then maybe.
28
29 > Should I only hire coders I can sit in the same room with?
30
31 That will probably work best, but it will cost more.
32
33 Have you ever managed a programming team before?
36 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Am I in Milwaukee?
37 at
38 gmail.com