From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new linux router
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 18:58:03
1 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev <at> laposte.net> writes:
6 >> > > For the distribution, I'd recommend Alpine:
7 >> > > http://www.alpinelinux.org/about
8 >
9 >> Sorry, I can't. I don't have them anymore while I'm sure they are still
10 >> used in production. It's something easy to do, though. The scripts
11 >> themselves are distribution agnostic. E.g. my ipfilter service only
12 >> used $IPTABLES. The only thing to update are the service files for
13 >> openrc, systemd, upstart, whatever.
14 >
15 > I've gone this route before. Sooner or later, I need something else
16 > and then adding/customizing it is often very arduous.... Still Alpine is
17 > interesting. Building a minimize Gentoo or embedded Gentoo is not
18 > difficult either. Musl will be in the final mix, regardless of which
19 > direction I go. Thanks for providing additional information for me to
20 > ponder before choosing a new router.
21
22 Why not use an HP Microserver? The black-box style embedded stuff
23 doesn't seem to be accessible at all to begin with.
27 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
28 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.