From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6724@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why is writing to an async-mounted USB disk so slow?
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2019 09:20:30
1 > Mick has a good point.  I have two or three of the cheaper USB external
2 > enclosures and only one of them was somewhat fast, it is USB 2.0 after
3 > all.  The other two logged a lot of errors in messages file about
4 > resetting something.  It was resetting so often that moving data to or
5 > from the drive was very slow.  I pitched the two bad ones, saved the one
6 > that works but bought a known good one, it has a fan and a display with
7 > the temps and fan RPMs etc on it.  It is a eSATA or USB enclosure.  I
8 > use the eSATA port and it is as fast as my internal drives.  If
9 > interested, I can find a link for one so you can see what it looks
10 > like.  I can also find the one that doesn't work just in case you have
11 > it.  The good one is black and the iffy ones are a silver color.  Point
12 > is, not all external enclosures work well.  USB ports in my experience
13 > really complicate matters.
14
15 > I like USB for my camera and my little card reader, that I use to get
16 > deer pics off my trail camera.  Other than that, I try to avoid USB.
17 > Oh, printers tend to work too.
18
19 > Dale
20
21 I am curious about your USB and eSATA enclosure.
22
23 I have two such Sabrent enclosures, USB 2.0 and eSATA.
24
25 USB 2.0 works with IDE or SATA hard drive, while eSATA works only with SATA hard drive.
26
27 I also have a Micronet Fantom G-Force hard drive with USB 3.0 and eSATA connections.
28
29 Tom