From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why is writing to an async-mounted USB disk so slow?
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2019 19:06:08
1 n952162 wrote:
2 > Okay, thank you, I'll try that (in (33 - 24) hours ;-) )
5 > On 11/02/19 16:40, Mick wrote:
6 >> On Saturday, 2 November 2019 15:15:31 GMT n952162 wrote:
7 >>> I'm getting 13k bps writing to a Toshiba 3T drive over a USB/Sata
8 >>> connection.  It' take 33 hours to transfer a 200meg file.
9 >>>
10 >>> I mounted it async but then see that ext4 ignores the async option on
11 >>> mounts.
12 >>>
13 >>> What am I doing wrong?
14 >> Probably nothing, other than using a faulty port/cable and/or faulty
15 >> drive.
16 >> Have a look at dmesg and syslog for I/O errors.
17 >>
18 >> Have you tried a different port and different USB cable?  Unless it
19 >> is an
20 >> eSATA, in which case you will need an eSATA port/cable.
27 Mick has a good point.  I have two or three of the cheaper USB external
28 enclosures and only one of them was somewhat fast, it is USB 2.0 after
29 all.  The other two logged a lot of errors in messages file about
30 resetting something.  It was resetting so often that moving data to or
31 from the drive was very slow.  I pitched the two bad ones, saved the one
32 that works but bought a known good one, it has a fan and a display with
33 the temps and fan RPMs etc on it.  It is a eSATA or USB enclosure.  I
34 use the eSATA port and it is as fast as my internal drives.  If
35 interested, I can find a link for one so you can see what it looks
36 like.  I can also find the one that doesn't work just in case you have
37 it.  The good one is black and the iffy ones are a silver color.  Point
38 is, not all external enclosures work well.  USB ports in my experience
39 really complicate matters.
40
41 I like USB for my camera and my little card reader, that I use to get
42 deer pics off my trail camera.  Other than that, I try to avoid USB.
43 Oh, printers tend to work too.
44
45 Dale
46