From: Redouane Boumghar <redouane.boumghar@×××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Synaptics and HAL Device Information Files
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 09:06:04
1 Thank you very much for your clear answers.
2
3 Now my touchpad works although I didn't change anything but I have
4 recompiled HAL (with dell USE flag) and the drivers.
5
6 In the early stage, not knowing precisely what filename to use I have
7 used the file name "99-x11-synaptics.fdi". It is still so but I will
8 change it while tuning its configuration.
9
10 My touchpad wasn't responding. And I realize now that it wasn't even
11 recognized at all (not in list : xinput list).
12
13 I have a DELL computer but I didn't have the "dell" USE flag for HAL so
14 I activated it and recompiled HAL. I did recompile xf86-input-synaptics
15 and xf86-input-evdev just in case.
16 I have restarted the HAL daemon but it wasn't working better.
17 I have rebooted my computer and the touchpad is now running fine.
18 And now I have this new entry in the xinput list :
19 "AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint" id=3 [XExtensionPointer]
20
21 I just can guess that HAL could not recognize the touchpad by itself
22 and it needed new (fresh recompiled) driver support and a reloading of
23 the kernel (== reboot). I really am in the fog but I can walk on it.
24
25 Thank you very much for your enlightment.
26
27 :)
28 Red.
29