From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Synaptics and HAL Device Information Files
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 15:54:53
1 On 5/26/2009 5:58 AM, Redouane Boumghar wrote:
2
3 > First of all where can I find information about the file names of FDI ?
4 > NUMBER-NAME-NAME.fdi
5 >
6 > Where are the specification of the nomenclature ?
7 > I have found different names possible :
8 > 11-x11-synaptics.fdi
9 > 99-x11-synaptics.fdi
10 >
11 > Why the donkey would it be 99 or 11 ?
12
13 Since (as I see below) you've added "hal" to your USE flags for the
14 xf86-input-synaptics driver, you should already have the synaptics HAL
15 data installed -- the post-ebuild messages would tell you where those
16 are. Currently, the stock HAL rules are installed into
17
18 /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/11-x11-synaptics.fdi
21 The reason it's number 11 is because the synaptics Xorg driver exposes
22 itself to HAL in a way that also looks like a mouse, so it matches all
23 on the HAL rules for standard pointer device behavior. The synaptics
24 rules need to override the normal rules, which are in the file
25 10-x11-pointer.fdi, so the synaptics rules go into 11-x11-synaptics.fdi
26 and get loaded second.
27
28 The file named 99- is most likely a suggestion from someone for a local
29 customization to the policy, since it will be loaded after everything
30 else. Since the synaptics rules are included in the base HAL policy
31 now, there's no need for the 99- file.
34 > The thing is that I don't know how to match my touchpad with the
35 > fdi policy or that I have another unknown problem.
36
37 You should not have to do anything to get your touchpad recognized by
38 HAL as a synaptics device, since you already have the HAL policy file
39 locally. You can use lshal(1) to ask HAL what devices it found, for
40 example:
41
42 lshal | grep -9 input.x11_driver
43
44 You should see a result which includes:
45
46 input.x11_driver = 'synaptics'
47
48 If you back up a few lines you will see the info.capabilities set, which
49 should include items like "input", "input.mouse", and input.touchpad.
50
51 The default settings are in the FDI file in /usr/share, which will also
52 show you how to override any of those settings. Basically, anything
53 that used to be an xorg.conf option can be set using an
54 "input.x11_options.OPTIONNAME" key. For example, to turn on SHMConfig
55 so you can use the synaptics utilities:
56
57 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
58 <deviceinfo version="0.2">
59 <device>
60 <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.touchpad">
61 <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">On</merge>
62 </match>
63 </device>
64 </deviceinfo>
65
66 Put this in an FDI file inside your /etc/hal/fdi/policy folder, such as
67
68 /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/11-x11-synaptics.fdi