From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 08:59:19
1 On Sat 20 August 2011 03:48:18 Dale did opine thusly:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Sat 20 August 2011 02:17:06 Dale did opine thusly:
4 > >> It was discussed on -dev so far. This is the subject line:
5 > >>
6 > >> "Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper
7 > >> initramfs in the handbook?"
8 > >>
9 > >> I think it will apply to /var to at some point. I think it
10 > >> sucks. I have /var on a separate partition and want to put
11 > >> /usr on one to but not now.
12 > >
13 > > Eh? That's fucking braindead. It also violates everything udev
14 > > ever intended to do.
15 > >
16 > > /usr and /var on separate partitions, plus a custom kernel
17 > > without an initramfs is *exactly* the most common use case for
18 > > Gentoo....
19 > I wish you could convince the devs of that. I already have /var on
20 > its own and was planning to put /usr on its own. I'm not now tho.
21 > Looks like /, /boot, /home and that's it for the OS part. It
22 > downright sucks.
23 >
24 > You planning to explain this to the devs? Maybe you will have
25 > better luck. They said it is a dev from Fedora that started this .
26 > . . . crap. ;-)
29 I'll spend some time I don't have reading the archives, then see.
33 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com