From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 08:49:29
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sat 20 August 2011 02:17:06 Dale did opine thusly:
3 >
4 >> It was discussed on -dev so far. This is the subject line:
5 >>
6 >> "Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper
7 >> initramfs in the handbook?"
8 >>
9 >> I think it will apply to /var to at some point. I think it
10 >> sucks. I have /var on a separate partition and want to put /usr
11 >> on one to but not now.
12 >>
13 > Eh? That's fucking braindead. It also violates everything udev ever
14 > intended to do.
15 >
16 > /usr and /var on separate partitions, plus a custom kernel without an
17 > initramfs is *exactly* the most common use case for Gentoo....
22 I wish you could convince the devs of that. I already have /var on its
23 own and was planning to put /usr on its own. I'm not now tho. Looks
24 like /, /boot, /home and that's it for the OS part. It downright sucks.
25
26 You planning to explain this to the devs? Maybe you will have better
27 luck. They said it is a dev from Fedora that started this . . . .
28 crap. ;-)
29
30 Dale
31