From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 08:30:58
1 On Sat 20 August 2011 02:17:06 Dale did opine thusly:
2 > >> Update with new info. With udev needing some things in /usr,
3 > >> and /var, you will need a init* if /usr and /var is not on /
4 > >> in the near future. Yea, real neat. Some need it already
5 > >> just depends on what is installed from what I read.
6 > >>
7 > >>
8 > >>
9 > > Give us a link please Dale.
10 > >
11 > > 2/3 of my boxen have both /usr and/var on separate partitions
12 > > and I never had to use initramfs (other than boot splash - or
13 > > whatever it happens to be called this month).
17 > It was discussed on -dev so far. This is the subject line:
18 >
19 > "Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper
20 > initramfs in the handbook?"
21 >
22 > I think it will apply to /var to at some point. I think it
23 > sucks. I have /var on a separate partition and want to put /usr
24 > on one to but not now.
25
26 Eh? That's fucking braindead. It also violates everything udev ever
27 intended to do.
28
29 /usr and /var on separate partitions, plus a custom kernel without an
30 initramfs is *exactly* the most common use case for Gentoo....
34 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com